Tuesday, March 22, 2011

My children are addicts

For the holidays Mark's employer was kind enough to "gift" him an iPad.  Yes, you are not seeing things, you read it correctly: A FREAKING IPAD.  Even though I think it was one more way to ensure that he'd be "accessible" no matter where he is and what time of day.  Watching him get all twitchy when he can't raed his email at bedtime is a bit amusing, albeit disturbing at the same time.

The fact that HE got the iPad is kind of hilarious if you know Mark and I-could-care-less attitude about advancements in technology.  The man wasn't even a participant in the texting revolution until last summer for Pete's sake.

I estimated it would be about three days before he gave up and it became mine, and rightfully so I must say.  After all, I'm the gadget geek in the house.  I'm the one who practically has a big O anytime I can figure something out that a condescending tech support person would normally take three days, two heavy sighs and a "I can't believe you're so stupid" dirty look to do.

But I'm off topic, shocking I know.  When Mark finally got the thing up & running the only thing he could get it to do was play "Angry Birds" a highly addicting game/app/life sucker that was preinstalled.  I believe he said "The kids will sure like this!" FAMOUS last words.

We've gone from Fruit Ninja and Angry Birds to twenty different apps and GIANT meltdowns, with moments of bargaining, whenever I cut the kids off.  I mean honestly, Brady begs, BEGS me, "can't I just look for some updates mom?"  He's standing there, scratching himself, breathing heavily, looking around like there's a cop hiding in the dark corners of the house.  "Just one game mom, I promise.  Just one more."  Yeah right ya little monster.

So I thought I would give them ten minutes each morning, and that would be it.  And yet, ALL DAY LONG they beg, please, BARGAIN for just "one more game" and that's it, they swear, it will be their last.  But I don't give in.  No sirree, it's for their own good.  The iPad is mine, MINE.......

Mark and I discussed this morning that we need to detox them.  How do you detox children from Angry Birds, Pac Man, Chicktionary and Knocking Down Cans?  I"ll let you know how it goes.  And I may be starting my own support group FIPUA (former iPad users anonymous) and my kids will be charter members.  Damn you Apple, damn you and your amazingly wonderful touch screen technology....

3 comments:

MTMC said...

I'm with you...the wii went on vacation and hasn't been seen since. Tyler was ADDICTED and it only took 2 days. Now it's the games on the computer and my blackberry which he's cut off from too. His personality changes, it's scary to watch.

Stephanie said...

Great blog post! You are so right. If you find something that works let me know because both Simon and I are addicted to Angry Birds. Peeling the Ipod Touch out of his hands sometimes results in injuries!

Malin said...

*lol* I, too, know that problem... but I'm the only gadget geek in the family, so it doesn't matter much. Says I. I am not completely sure my husband would agree, though..!